foran_object

Thursday, May 10, 2007

 
Back in the Hannover forest:

I found out that this beautiful old forest that I've enjoyed walking through, in Hannover, is called Eilenriede, and it has a rich history dating back to medievel times. Although the forest has been damaged by cattle, forestry and WWII, I can't image that parts of it wouldn't be classed as 'old growth'. Eillenriede is nearly twice as big an NY's central park.

I found the translated German wikipedia page very interesting. For any of my colleages who may visit Hannover, I highly recommend a visit to this forest.














The tall forest canopy is so dense that the forest floor is cool and moist, even in the warm sun. Probably a perfect habitat for interesting slimy creatures that would dry out in any other environment.




















I was totally unable to capture the shear magnitude of this White Oak tree on film. Digital SLR with wide-angle lens, won't you please come and live with me? I estimated the tree at > 4 ft. diamter, and somewhere over 80 ft. tall. As a young tree growing in a dense, mature forest, it would have had to grow fast and tall to compete for light. It's form is greatly unlike any Oak tree grown in open sun, it has a smooth, straight trunk for about 60 ft. maybe. It's hard to make out the upper branches.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007   October 2007   January 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?