foran_object

Monday, November 06, 2006

 

Prairie dogs, my relationship with coffee, the fridge, the car wheel, and a really, really painful visit to the bookstore

The pain came on suddenly and was excruciating. It happened just after I walked into the bookstore and located the sci-fi section. It wasn’t really that I wanted to buy a book; I was there more just to pass time at the airport. I’m not sure what triggered it, but my right thumb instantly started pulsing and throbbing. I brought it up close to my eyes to have a look. Sure enough, there was a small pimple-like bump. There was clearly infection. Retched painful infection. Also, as I turned to exit, I noticed the cashier was curiously watching my strange behavior. Odd to have a pimple on the thickly padded skin over my thumb, I thought. At first I couldn’t bear to touch the area, the pain was too great, but, knowing what I had to do, I vacated the bookstore and found a more private location to burst the pimple, and purge the vile infection from myself. I mustered up the courage to squeeze, and sure enough, a tiny explosion of pus and blood burst from under. But, I still did not feel any relief. I could hardy stand the pain, but squeezed again. This time amongst the blood and fluid, a small black spec appeared. Again, I squeezed, tears threatening to stream down my face, I squeezed harder, and a tiny black splinter revealed itself. A few moments of thought, and I knew what it was. A small bit of one of the thousand drywall screws I drove into the floor of my building, while working in the cold darkness last night. Even though the fundamental problem of my pain was now revealed, however, I still could not resolve it. As I squeezed, the sliver would come up above my skin, like a prairie dog poking its head out of barren landscape. I tried to pinch it between my nails, but in doing so, I had to release the squeeze. Frustrating, but eventually I did pull the damn thing, and boy did it feel better.

On another note, life was rather crazy this week. While in Syracuse, Jen informed me that she had a flat tire, and that the fridge had stopped working. Plus, I was hell-bent on making some progress on the workshop during my short stopover back home before going to Germany for two weeks. Let me tells you, Sears is not a pleasant bunch. Anyway, to make a long story short, I hate Sears. They suck bad. I highly recommend using anti-seize compound on wheel hubs before putting wheels on the car. I have no idea why we are getting so many flat tires, and I bought a reciprocating saw which really helped to make me feel better.

For some reason I drank a coffee today. It’s the 4rth one I’ve had in my life. I didn’t like it very much.

Here are a few pics of the workshop as of Saturday Nov 4:











Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007   October 2007   January 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?