foran_object

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

 
Income trusts tank!

Jen sent me an email early this morning, knowing that most of my investments are income trusts, and that new legislation is mandating increased taxes on companies operating income trusts. I didn't think it would have all that much effect. I was wrong.

I own 5 stocks, 4 of which are income trusts. They are down and average of about 16% today. I'm hoping they'll bounce back, as stocks often do when bad new comes out. Or, maybe it's just the start of a mass self-off. The following is an excerpt from a stockhouse.ca article from today:

It's a day that could go down in Canadian stock market history as Black Wednesday. After the markets closed on Halloween, Canadian Federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty spooked Bay Street by announcing a new tax on income trust distributions in a bid to stem the growing number of companies that are converting to trusts.

Not something I need right now when I'm way overextended trying to pay for the workshop construction.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007   October 2007   January 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?