foran_object

Saturday, September 16, 2006

 
Saturday to explore Filderstadt on foot:






















Many industrial buildings here have a funky contemporary architecture.















Filderstadt is near Stuttgart, home of Porsche. These are probably recycled pallets.
















Jen recently bought me a small weeping Nootka False Cypress. A beautiful tree that I am very excited about. They are very popular around Filderstadt. It is the larger tree on the left.
















Many of the homes here blend modern elements with amost medieval. Across the street is a funky new age house.
















Typical street within the town of Filderstadt.















The famous Citroën 2CV. This one with extra personality.

















My walk took me down a path that led outside the town, with large cottonwood trees running beside. Beautiful orchards followed, with apfel (apple in german), pear trees and fenced in areas containing berries and other plants that animals presumably like.

Further along, the path led me into a forest. The trees consisted of spruce, beech and oaks. There were some small cleared areas and stumps that indicated that the forest was logged in a very controlled way. I estimated the spruce logs above to be about 75 ft long, the bigger ones being close to two feet diamter, and about 75 years old by the growth rings.















The forest had little undergrowth. I could see much farther through the trees than in Ontario forests I've been in.















Tucked away at the edge of the forest was a little beer garden. I had to point at a beer glass to order, so I have no idea what I got. It tasted very fresh, and it was quite cloudy, indicating to me that it wasn't mass produced. After drinking the large beer I felt very tired. Thinking of the long walk back made me even more tired, but the walk went quickly. I had dinner at the little Italian restaurant for the last time. Today almost made the trip worthwhile. I'm looking forward to going home torrow.

Comments:
When come back, bring beer!

I know a little German.

He's over there! Hi Hans!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007   October 2007   January 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?