foran_object

Thursday, August 24, 2006

 
Update on seed germination: Week 3

Redbud Trees:


Of the four Redbud seeds, one has germinated so far. I checked the remaining seeds, one had decomposed and was covered in green fungus, mold, or some similar such thing. The seed coats in the remaining two have decomposed, revealing fresh white embryo beneath. My guess is that they are alive, but still dormant. The seed that did germinate is now ~2" tall, with two cotyledons, and two true leaves. I am now using a bottle over the top of the plant to keep the environment moist. I am watering it every few days using a spray misting bottle, which has a weak solution of seedling fertilizer. I am using either reverse osmosis or clean rain water.








Rhododendrons:

Many of the tiny rhodo seeds have germinated, and are now about 2 mm high. I removed the plastic wrap, and am now using two pieces of glass to cover the container. I am removing for short periods of time, once or twice a day, to examine the seedlings and exchange the air. I'm lightly misting the seeds with with my rain water and seedling fertilizer mix.

Comments:
Awesome. Very nice use of photos to illustrate the subject of the blog. I give it a 9.5.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007   October 2007   January 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?