foran_object

Monday, August 07, 2006

 

Sunday August 6, 2006

On Sunday I made my journey to San Jose. Man, I hate hotels. Lifeless, boring, lonely places without many of the conveniences of hom, and they make me homesick, and they have bad art. I hate hotels almost as much as I hate airports. Don’t even get me started on airports.

Jen, the taxi that pulled into departures before us, the one with the bunji-corded trunk, billowing with oversize luggage; there were two middle aged women in it. They were on the same plane as me, to Chicago. The plane boarded late, and took off even later. I can’t remember the reason, I’m just glad I had 2 ½ hours stopover, so I didn’t miss my connection. The two ladies boarded pretty early, and held up people in the aisle.

The Jerks in the seat in front reclined their seats all the way, impeding my legs, and not allowing me to use my laptop well. I rested it, angled down, touchpad end up, resting 4” inches up on my ever increasing huge gut.

Frank Zappa provided the music for the ride. “Hot Rats”, isn’t my favourite Zappa, but it drowns out the stupid crying kid, the people next to me talking about tornadoes, and the pilot and fight staff talking on the intercrom. Crap, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard the spiel. Amost exactly the same every time. Drive’s me nuts I swear.

Weird. I’m starting to write like Holden Caulfield.

Buddy in front of me played Solitaire on his huge laptop. Damn boring game if you ask me. His wife sipped her acquisition from the in-flight beverage service, and read the in-flight magazine. Good times, glad I had got ‘the curious incident of the dog in the night time.’

While I’m not usually “lovin’” McDonald’s, I am lovin’ this book readin’ thing I’m into. The last few years have seen me read about only 3-4 novels. I’ve read countless computer books, woodworking books, gardening books, etc, but never cover to cover, and usually not in linear order. Initial thing of beauty, about the novel, was that it kept my attention, and passed the time on the way home from Chicago a few weeks back—but the best thing, I was allowed to continue reading while the plane decended, landed and taxied. Damn if they’ll let you do that with a laptop or even music player.

Saturday August 5, 2006

I swear somebody upstairs doesn’t want me riding my bicycle. I few weeks ago, I get some new gear for my bike. Eager to try it out, I go for a ride, and…flat tire. Over a week goes by before I can get a new one and get it installed. Finally on Saturday I journey to into town and it feels good. New seat cover is definitely more comfortable. Gloves and shorts help too. I felt so good I hit the trails in Ferguson Forest. After coming out I’m sweaty and tired. Trip to the store for beverage. Come out…flat tire. Damn good thing I brought Jen’s cell phone, it would have taken hours to walk home. I think I’ll start carrying a spare tube and pump again.

Also, we went looking for a bike for Jen. I’m picky, and there’s no luck. Most promising ride looks to be the Norco somethin’ or other from the small shop in town.

Thursday August 3, 2006

Thursday turned out to be rather interesting at work. The return to support work didn’t excite me much a first—it certainly didn’t work out well for me last time. Skills learned since my earlier days have proved beneficial however. But not just that, it’s added confidence and experience too. I now have no fear of jumping into the source code to figure out something; at least the simpler apps anyway.


Wednesday August 2, 2006


Wednesday proved to be another inconsequential day at work. This can have its merits, but not today. I felt lousy and tired. Tired from nothing. Tired of nothing.

After pulling away from the gas station, I decided to throttle on the gas. A little adrenilin to fix my woes. Even at 138,000 KM, the motor still sounds sweet, with all the power it had when new. I punch the gas, and the car pulls hard as I run through the gears on the on ramp. My car has probably been the most faithful material object I have known. It has been, for me, many things, pickup truck, off-road vehicle, and tonight, as it has been before, racing car.

Third gear is my favorite.


Comments:
Wow. You've hit the bigtime. You're getting idiot comment spammers!
 
I also love the versatility of third gear.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007   October 2007   January 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?